Major Requirements & Four Year Plans

Students can choose between General Biology or specialize in different areas of Biological Sciences.

For descriptions of each specialization area see details on the Biological Sciences major.

Making a Four Year Plan

The CMNS Peer Mentors can assist students with developing an individualized Four Year Plan.

Sample Curriculum Sheets and Four Year Plans
For Students Under Gen Ed

General Biology (GENB)
GENB Curriculum Sheet-Gen Ed
GENB Sample 4-year Plan-Gen Ed

Cell Biology & Genetics (CEBG)
CEBG Curriculum Sheet-Gen Ed
CEBG Sample 4-year Plan-Gen Ed

Ecology & Evolution (ECEV)
ECEV Curriculum Sheet-Gen Ed
ECEV Sample 4-year Plan-Gen Ed

Microbiology (MICB)
MICB Curriculum Sheet-Gen Ed
MICB Sample 4-year Plan-Gen Ed

Physiology & Neurobiology (PHNB)
PHNB Curriculum Sheet-Gen Ed
PHNB Sample 4-year Plan-Gen Ed

Individualized Studies (BIVS)
BIVS Curriculum Sheet-Gen Ed

Sample Curriculum Sheets and Four Year Plans
for Students Under CORE

See major requirements and four year plans for students under CORE.


What courses satisfy the lower-level math requirement?

  • MATH135 (Discrete Mathematics for Life Sciences) and MATH136 (Calculus for Life Sciences). This is the preferred sequence for students who do not have MATH140 and MATH141.

  • MATH140 (Calculus 1) and MATH141 (Calculus 2)

  • MATH140 and MATH135

  • MATH130 (Calculus 1 for Life Sciences) and MATH131 (Calculus 2 for Life Sciences) (both courses discontinued)

  • MATH130 and MATH135, for students who took MATH130 before it was discontinued, but have not completed MATH131

  • Other course combinations are possible in unusual circumstances, and require approval by an advisor.

  • Students cannot use MATH120, MATH121, MATH220, or MATH221 towards the Biological Sciences major.

Do I need to take PHYS131 and PHYS132?
The PHYS131/132 requirement is effective Fall 2013. If you completed PHYS121 before Fall 2013, you may complete the physics sequence by taking PHYS122. Any student who did not start on the completion of the Physics requirement before Fall 2013 must take PHYS131 and PHYS132 or a more advanced physics sequence. Questions about transfer and AP/IB credit should be directed to the Undergraduate Academic Programs Office, (301) 405-6892.