SG Advising, Academic Policies & Academic Assistance
Students attending the Universities at Shady Grove are required to meet with their academic advisor each semester for guidance and course selection as well as graduation and career planning. While students can schedule an appointment throughout the semester, they must complete at least one session of advising prior to registration for courses for the next semester.
Schedule adjustment is the process by which students may change their schedule by either adding or dropping courses. The period for schedule adjustment generally ends about two weeks in to the semester. If students wish to adjust their schedule, they should contact their academic advisor for assistance. For detailed information about adding/dropping or withdrawing from courses, consult UM specific policy and academic calendar. http://www.provost.umd.edu/calendar/15.cfm Please refer to UM Undergraduate Catalog and student handbook for current policy information.
Expectations of Advisors:
- Advisors must be accessible by appointment
- They must be be accurate and up to date in academic program and service information
- They should be professional in their focus on the student's progress towards graduation
Expectations of Students:
- Students must read University, College and departmental materials (particularly the Undergraduate Catalog)
- Students must schedule their mandatory advising appointment well ahead of their registration date
- Arrive on time
- Bring a four-year plan
- Come with questions
Each student has the ultimate responsibility for his or her own education.